Sunday 19 August 2007

Tofu restaurant

This is my second visit to Niigata's only Tofu speciality restaurant, the first being with my pals and ex colleagues from the Ol' Microgen days. If you have ever eaten Tofu you may be surprised that I went back a second time, but then you probably haven't been to the Umeno Hana. Believe me I'm not jumping for joy when the work canteen serve up a lump of what looks like Dairy lee cheese and tastes like putty, but you would be amazed at the options served up at the Umeno Hana. Fried, baked, deep fried, roasted, grilled and it even makes a nice creme caramel style desert.
It was a lucky 'find', the only reason we went the first time was because or poor Japanese teacher worked there (and I think we went mainly because she did think we would). She still does, which was great because we got a 20% discount. It's not cheap, but an interesting experience in a really nice setting - got me thinking about giving my dining room in England a Japanese theme.


No comments: